University Information Desk Information Intern/Student Team Leader
Job Title: Information Intern/Student Team Leader
Division/Department: Communications and Marketing/University Information
Location: Johnson Center, Student Union Building I, or The Hub Information Desks
Reports to: Information Desk Supervisors in collaboration with the Assistant Director
Salary: Starting at $9.50 per hour
Hours: 15-20 hours/wk
Last Revision Date: October 25, 2012
Information Intern/Student Team Leader positions will be awarded to students who have shown the potential to be responsible supervisors of Student Information Assistants. Preference will be given to students who can exhibit a high level of customer service, self-sufficiency and accountability. The Information Intern/Student Team Leader will respond to general customer inquiries, perform assistant supervisory duties in regards to the Student InformationAssistants, and work on projects that benefit the Fairfax Information Desks, University Information, Communications and Marketing, and George Mason University. They will be responsible for setting a high standard for Student Information Assistants and mentor them towards that standard. Information Interns/Student Team Leaders should be knowledgeable about all aspects of George Mason University and the resources available to retrieve information about it.
The responsibilities for this position are separated by the following categories:
Customer Service/Member Relations
- Exhibit a high level of customer service.
- Greet customers, visitors, and community members in a friendly and inviting manner.
- Represent Mason in a professional and positive manner as an ambassador.
- Keep the desk and immediate area clean and organized.
- Approve flyers for posting.
- Assist with library circulation.
- Administer the lost and found policy.
Information and Visitor Services
- Answer and transfer calls to the requested department or person.
- Share information on all aspects of George Mason University including event information, handouts about the university, academic programs, and directions to and around all campuses.
- Use available manuals, websites, and database resources to share directory information; hours of operation; information about departments and services; events on the campuses; and events in the building.
- Learn Mason’s history, keep up-to-date on information and always dispense timely, accurate information.
- Distribute telephone directories and learning supplies available for use
- Assist with maintaining and sharing maps, brochures, and flyers.
- Maintain inventory and tracking of brochures, materials, & supplies. Compile weekly statistics to record for the monthly tallies.
- Compile desk area frequently asked questions (weekly & monthly) to post on the myMason portal
- Review the opening and closing checklist and daily cleaning responsibilities.
- Maintain inventory and tracking of brochures, materials, & supplies.
- Maintain stock and filing of log sheets.
Personal Responsibility and Professionalism
- Follow all University Information and Mason policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Read and respond to all University Information emails, blogs, newsletters, and Web sites in a timely manner.
- Make recommendations and give feedback to enhance the department.
- Dress appropriately according to the University Information uniform guidelines and dress code for assigned shifts.
- Work a varied shift scheduled, as determined and during inclement weather, as needed.
- Complete and attend additional training and all staff meetings.
- Commitment & dedication to the University Information mission, vision, core values & standards of excellence.
- Complete monthly information quizzes and experiential learning activities.
- Follows through and completes the tasks, directives and project requests of managers and supervisors.
- Complete a self-evaluation of performance, as determined.
- Develop a positive rapport with UI Supervisors, Coordinators Managers and Directors.
- Assist with additional projects, general office or errands, as assigned.
- Set a positive example to follow all University Information and Mason policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Maintain 15-25 hours per week in the capacity as a Student Information Intern/Student Team Leader.
- Assist in training Student Information Assistants.
- Assist in supervising and submitting written warnings to Supervisors for Student Information Assistants.
- Assist in updating the Information Desk Reference Manuals.
- Assist in the hiring and evaluation process of Student Information Assistants.
- Assist with drafting a student staff schedule for Supervisor review.
- Have a weekly/bi-weekly meeting(s) with Desk Supervisor(s).
- Inform Supervisor(s) of issues or problems that arise.
- Work a varied shift schedule and during inclement weather, as needed.
- Be responsible for coverage of staff absences.
- Compile and submit a weekly written report to share with Supervisor.
- Update inaccurate or outdated information, binders, and materials at the information desk.
- Assist in the facilitation of team meetings and staff development activities.
- Review monthly information quizzes and track on-line training completed.
- Review staff reflections from experiential learning activities.
- Involvement on a University Information committee or team.
- Follow through and complete the tasks, directives and project requests of Supervisors.
- Complete a self-evaluation as part of the performance review process.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Each position requires: The ability to teach, guide, coach, encourage and provide specific feedback for improvement of other student staff. A positive and helpful personality, excellent listening skills, a clear and understandable speaking voice, and positive interpersonal skills to build rapport and relationships with desk patrons (faculty, staff, students, visitors, administrators, and departments). The ability and willingness to learn and retain information, remain organized and multitask, pay attention to detail, desire to help people is essential. The ability to work independently and within a team in a fast paced environment is needed. Commitment, dedication, reliability, punctuality, integrity, and competency with computers and websites are essential. Desired candidates must possess flexibility, the ability to work independently and take initiative, a positive and professional attitude and a commitment to work with a team and people of diverse backgrounds. The Student Information Intern/Team Leader must balance appropriately professional and personal situations and handle any conflict with respect.
Applicants must also meet the following requirements to be considered for a Student Information Intern/Team Leader position:
- Possess a strong interest in providing personal attention to visitors and Mason community members within a public relations environment.
- Be committed to learning about supervision and coaching strategies to balance supervision of student information assistants.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Possess solid typing/word processing and research skills.
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal and organization skills.
- Have advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; databases; and desktop publishing.
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Ability to meet deadlines and complete assignments.
- Be a sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student at Mason.
- Have at least one semester of experience in customer service or working as an Student Information Assistant.
Selected applicants will be required to:
- Complete a Fairfax Information Desk Training Session and Shadowing
- Complete a seminar on Supervising Student Employees within two months of hiring.
- Complete additional training on providing Information Desk leadership within twoe months of hiring.
- Complete the University Information Training Class.
- Commit to further training and development, as necessary.