Switchboard Student Team Leader
Job Title: Switchboard Student Team Leader
Division/Department: Communications & Marketing/University Information
Location: Alan and Sally Merten Hall, Room 2100, Switchboard Office
Reports to: Fairfax Public Information Manager
Salary: $9.50 per hour
Hours: 15-20 hours/wk
Last Revision Date: August 6, 2012
Switchboard Student Team Leaders will be awarded to students who have shown the potential to be responsible supervisors of Student Information Assistants. Preference will be given to students who can exhibit a high level of self-sufficiency and accountability. Switchboard Team Leaders will respond to general customer inquiries and perform assistant supervisory duties in regards to the Student Information Assistants. They will be responsible for setting a high standard for Student Information Assistants and helping to mentor them towards that standard. Switchboard Team Leaders should be knowledgeable about all aspects of George Mason University and the resources available to retrieve information about it.
The responsibilities for this position are separated by the following categories:
Customer Service/Member Relations
- Exhibit a high level of customer service
- Greet customers, visitors, and community members in a friendly and inviting manner
- Represent Mason in a professional and positive manner as an ambassador
- Keep the switchboard office and immediate area clean and organized
- Administer the lost and found policy.
Information and Visitor Services
- Answer and transfer calls to the requested department or person
- Share information on all aspects of George Mason University including event information, handouts about the university, academic programs, and directions to and around all campuses
- Use available manuals, websites, and database resources to share directory information; hours of operation; information about departments and services; events on the campuses; and information about parking on campus
- Learn Mason’s history, keep up-to-date on information and always dispense timely, accurate information
- Assist with maintaining supplies; maps brochures and other information as needed
Personal Responsibility and Professionalism
- Follow all University Information and Mason policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Read and respond to all University Information emails, blogs, newsletters, and websites in a timely manner
- Make recommendations and give feedback to enhance the department
- Dress appropriately according to the University Information uniform guidelines and dress code for the assigned shift
- Work a varied shift scheduled, as determined and during inclement weather, as needed.
- Complete and attend additional training and all staff meetings.
- Commitment and dedication to the mission, vision, core values and standards of excellence for University Information.
- Complete monthly information quizzes and experiential learning activities and assist in preparing these
- Follows through and completes the tasks, directives and project requests of manager
- Complete a self-evaluation of performance, as determined.
- Assist with additional projects, general office or errands, as assigned
- Maintain 15-20 hours per week in the capacity as a Switchboard Team Leader
- Assist in training Student Information Assistants
- Assist in supervising and submitting written warnings to Manager for Student Information Assistants
- Assist in updating the Reference Manuals
- Assist in the hiring and evaluation process of Information Assistants
- Assist with drafting a student staff schedule for Manager review
- Compile monthly statistics, as needed
- Contribute to a team blog every shift
- Contribute to the University Information Facebook page
- Have a weekly/bi-weekly meeting(s) with Manager
- Inform Manager of any issues or problems that arise
- Receive on-call emergency calls
- Work a varied shift schedule and during inclement weather, as needed
- Be responsible for coverage of staff absences
- Compile and submit a weekly written report to share with Manager
- Update inaccurate or outdated information or materials at the Switchboard
- Attend management team meetings and staff development activities
- Review monthly information quizzes and track on-line training completed
- Review staff reflections from experiential learning activities
- Set the example to follow all University Information and Mason policies, procedures and guidelines
- Develop a positive rapport with Manager and Assistants
- Follow through and complete the tasks, directives and project requests of Manager
- Complete a self-evaluation as part of the performance review process
Each position requires the ability to teach, guide, coach, encourage and provide specific feedback for improvement to other students. A positive and helpful personality, excellent listening skills, a clear and understandable speaking voice, and positive interpersonal skills to build rapport and relationships with callers and drive-up customers (faculty, staff, students, visitors, administrators, and departments) are required. The ability and willingness to learn and retain information, remain organized and multi-task, pay attention to detail and the desire to help people is required. The ability to work independently and within a team in a fast paced environment is needed. Commitment, dedication, reliability, punctuality, integrity, and competency with computers and websites are essential. Desired candidates must possess flexibility, the ability to work independently and take initiative, a positive and professional attitude and a commitment to work with a team and people of diverse backgrounds. Student Managers must balance appropriately professional and personal situations and handle any conflict with respect.
Applicants must also meet the following requirements to be considered for a Switchboard Team Leader position:
- Possess a strong interest in providing personal attention to visitors and Mason community members within a public relations environment.
- Be committed to learning about supervision and coaching strategies to balance supervision of student information assistants.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Posses solid typing/word processing and research skills
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Have advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; databases; and desktop publishing
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Ability to meet deadlines and complete assignments
- Be a sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student at Mason
- Have at least one semester of experience working as an information desk assistant
- Proficiency with social media to include Facebook and blogs
- Commit to the completion of the Supervising Student Workers Seminar within 3 months of hiring
- Commit to further training as necessary